Treaty of 1818
Then the Treaty of St. Mary was made the Goverment gave to the State four square
miles of the New Purchase, for the Capitol City. The location of which to be selected
by the State. The State Legislature chose a Commission of ten, to select a site as
near the Center of the State as possible.
First White Men 1820
The first two white men where George Pogue and John McCormick and their families.
Pogue's Cabin was the first to be built, which was on the high ground about East Michigan
Street and East of Pogues Run. Mr. McCormick placed his cabin on the East bank of White
River just above Washington Street. Fall Creek at that time entered the river at
McCormick's cabin. Other settlers followed and the little Village of perhaps a dozen
cabins, was known as the Fall Creek settlement to the fur traders and other travelers.
May 17 - 1820
The Commissioners that were appointed by the Legislature set out to select a site.
They visited the Bluff-Fall Creek Settlement Conners and other places.
June 7 - 1820
Fall Creek settlement was selected by the Commissioners as a site for the State
At the meeting of the Legislature a name was given to the Capitol. Judge Jeremiah
Sullivan of Jefferson County gave the name Indianapolis,which created a laugh, but
Samuel Merrill supported the name, and the name was adopted. Alexander Ralson a
surveyor laid off the town site after Washington D.C. but the four square miles was to
large and one square mile was used, the square mile was known as the Corporation, and
the out lots was known as the donation.
October 9 - 1821
The town lots were auctioned off at Nowlands cabin, about West Washington near
Missouri streets. Tommy Carter Mounted James Blake's one horse wagon as auctioneer and
James M. Ray was clerk of the sale. The highest price paid was $550.00 for a lot
about South West corner of Washington and Delaware Street being across from the site
selected for the Court House, the average price for lots was $113.00. The out lots
sold for $10.00 $20.00 $30.00.
June 20 1826 1st Organization for Protection from fires.
June 20, 1826 the first organization for protection from fires was made with
John Hawkins as President, and James M. Ray as Secretary. Its implements were ladders,
axes and buckets and the church and Hotel bells rang the alarm The first regular
buckets were curriosities, they were made in the town of heavy harness leather paint
green inside, bound with a leather covered rope around the mouth, handled by a leather
strap for a bail, and shaped some what like a beer keg, bigger in the middle than
anywhere else. They held a half bushel or there abouts. The town ordinance required
one or more to be kept in eyery house and the owners name to be painted on them. Their
awkward shape made them of little value for use directly upon a fire for the narrow
mouth obstructed by a broad strap it was impossible to throw more than a third of the
contents at once, and the effort usually resulted in deluging the enthusiast who made
it, but they did well enough to supply the engines.
February 7, 1835 Meeting of Citizens
February 7, 1835. The State Legislature authorized the State Treasurer to procure
twenty buckets for fire purposes and suitable ladders, and to pay half the cost of a
fire engine if the Citizens would pay the other half.